Sunday, December 21, 2014

Forget the Anxiety.



I have really bad anxiety. I probably should get it checked out, but I refuse to because I know I am stronger than it. I don’t want medication to control it when I know that I can just change my mind set. It takes some time normally, depending on what is going on, but I normally overcome it and a calmness overcome me. I worry, I overthink, and I overreact about what could possibly happen. Of course they are all bad scenarios, but I have learned to focus on what potentially could happen if it turns out for the best.



An example would be the fact that I had a job interview 2 weeks ago for a job that I really want. It is a job in my field of study (minor in college), human resources, and could teach me a lot. I have to have a backup in case I don’t get famous.. J Just joking. I live in the real world and I need to take care of my responsibilities as well as pursue my dreams. Back on track, the interview. I was freaking out. The worst part is that I decided not to tell any of my family. I decided not to tell them because 1. They would pressure me and it would be worse, and 2. I didn’t want to let them down. (I told them after the interview was over). I knew about the interview for a week before I had it. in that time I googled every possible interview question, I googled the company, and I made sure I knew all answers to scenarios I have been in. a lot of over preparing there. The day before the interview I had to stop and ask myself, “what are you doing?” I realized I was the one pressuring myself. I was prepared. I was going to be honest. I was going to be ME. If they don’t like me, they won’t give me the job. I cannot change who I am. I’m fun, nice, and easygoing. I want to get the job done and hate being bored. All qualities an employee should have. I told myself to shut up. On the way to the interview I turned the radio up and sang along. I relaxed and did not let my anxiety get the best of me.  The interview went good, but I have to wait till after Christmas to hear if I got it and if I didn’t….. It’s probably Illinois I’m coming back home.


The whole point of me telling that story/experience is to let you know that it is possible to overcome anxiety. Out yourself if a different place. Be honest with yourself. This interview for me was bigger than anything. I’m unemployed, I have student loans to pay back, and I might have to move home. Home is 12 hours away. I don’t have a job waiting for me when I go back either. This job interview is my life. I pray I get it, but hope I’m strong enough for the next chapter of what to do if I don’t.


Having anxiety is normal. Being nervous is normal. The thing to do is to figure out how to control it if it gets to be too much. I get nervous about everything, as I pointed out, and I have come up with something that helps me. Before I go to bed at night before whatever is making me anxious, I sit in the dark, take a deep breathe, and tell myself that it is going to be ok. Simple, not really. I give myself a pep talk. Make myself comfortable. Music is my comfort. I make sure I listen to music before whatever it is, or during it, and that calms me down. A good song changes my way of thinking in a snap.

DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!

Be positive, don’t look at the negative. Don’t let the negative outcomes weigh you down. Good nervous energy is good, but don’t let the bad nervous energy ruin it for you. Breathe and relax, it will be over before you know it.


I like hearing when famous musicians say that they get nervous before every show. The people who have done it a million times still get nervous, but guess what? They still go out and perform. Also, they mess up sometimes. I have been to two concerts in particular where they artist sings a song and then said, “I started singing at the wrong spot” or “I messed up the lyrics.” Their songs and they messed up? Wow. J We are all human after all.


Overcome it, don’t let it overcome you. If you get anxiety about something, just remember why you are doing it. It will be ok.


Taking chances is supposed to make us nervous, but we all have the power to succeed.



comment your thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment